In Conversation with author Ralph Blumenthal
November 4, 2023
Ralph inscribed my copy of “The Believer: Alien Encounters, Hard Science, and the Passion of John Mack.”
“A wonderful interviewer and friend. With appreciation.” – Ralph Blumenthal
Video of the full event.
Visiting with Sister Marie Paul WilhelmaS
October 1, 2023
Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Sister Marie Paul at the Dominican Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary in Summit, New Jersey, to learn about her community.
Going into the visit, I was concerned that recording could be difficult as some cloistered nuns meet with guests behind an enclosure. I bought a 25′ mic cord in case I needed the extra distance.
Sister came out to shake my hand, then joined me in a small room that had us separated by a one-foot wide wooden counter. It was the perfect place to record the show.
Favorite episode yet.
On the road with All Across America
September 12, 2023
On Sunday, I recorded blues musician Mason Casey from a picnic table overlooking a pond on a cloudy day. It started raining as we were packing up, but the gear stayed dry.
In two weeks, I will be visiting with Sister Marie Paul Wilhelm, a cloistered, contemplative nun who lives at the Dominican Monastery of our Lady of the Rosary in Summit, New Jersey.
Recording on location setup:
- Sony MDR-1RBT headphones
- Sennheiser HD280PRO headphones
- Microphone stands x2
- Cable Matters 6’ XLR cables x2
- Audio-Technica AT2040 microphones x2
- Y Splitter for headphones
- Focusrite cable
- Apple USB-C to USB adaptor
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface
- Macbook Air
- Headphone case for Sony (with backup ¼ headphone adaptor)
- Headphone case for Sennheiser (with backup XLR cable)
- Focusrite case (with USB extender cable)
- Accessories pouch (Mac extender cord/backup USB adaptor/backup headphone cord/business cards)
- Casematix 11” waterproof microphone case
Top Five Old Time Albums from North Carolina
- *The Watson Family – Deep Gap, North Carolina
- *Tommy Jarrell: Sail Away Ladies/Come And Go With Me – Round Peak
- The Smokey Valley Boys – Mt. Airy
- The Fuzzy Mountain Sting band: Summer Oaks & Porch – Chapel Hill
- The Freight Hoppers: waiting on the gravy train – Bryson City
- Guru – Roxbury, Massachusetts/Brooklyn, New York
- *Biggie – Brooklyn, New York
- Big L – Harlem, New York
- Kane – Brooklyn, New York
- *Snoop – Long Beach, California
Show some love to the DJs:
- *Premier – Grand Prairie, Texas/Brooklyn, New York
- Screw – Houston, Texas
- Pete Rock – Mount Vernon, New York